<%@LANGUAGE="JAVASCRIPT" CODEPAGE="1252"%> Whisky Pants
     
     
     

Look, I'm not doing this for you, but for my own dark and twisted reasons. Oh, and because everyone else is doing it.

 
 

August 07, 2004

"i don't believe in happy endings"

We were in my car, Toonces, headed across the Potomac for some serious quality time. CamillaParkerBowles (CPB) and I try to get together at least twice a month for some retail and wine therapy, but our schedules have been rather hectic recently.

We were discussing movies that CPB has seen when the subject of neat Hollywood endings came up. "I don't believe in happy endings, " said CPB. She prefers ambiguity instead, and cited Lost in Translation as an example. CPB asserted that life does not end happily or sadly, nor do things really just end. I agree with the preference for ambiguous endings. After seeing Lost in Translation with a couple friends, it was interesting to see how we viewed the end so differently. I found the end rather uplifting. Maybe that's a function of being a rather happy/hopeful person. My friends saw it a little differently.

At the same time, I don't necessarily like ambiguity when it's personal. I like tidiness, knowing where I stand, having an idea about what to expect, being able to count on certain things or people. I think this is a rather human tendency.

Obviously, I've been doing way too much navel gazing this week. I need to go take Toonces for a ride and try to exorcise this pensiveness. It's not making for good copy.

Some happy news: congratulate me; I'm going to be an aunt again!