<%@LANGUAGE="JAVASCRIPT" CODEPAGE="1252"%> Whisky Pants
     
     
     

Look, I'm not doing this for you, but for my own dark and twisted reasons. Oh, and because everyone else is doing it.

 
 

November 03, 2005

the church ladies

For years, my family had been C&E (Christmas and Easter) people. I mean, we were active members of a liberal church as a young family, and made it through confirmation classes, the potlucks and volleyball games. Then, my sister and I went away to school, dad got lymphoma and became mistrustful of crowded places, and we all tired of the church ladies. You know the ones - they're judgemental, petty and gossipy - pretty much the opposite of what Christ imagined.

While at college I encountered the early part of the conservative christian movement, but I was way more interested in my sorority parties than Fellowship of Christian Athletes.

Then, here in DC, I was introduced to folks who attend those repellant reactionary mega churches out in the suburbs. More than anything, I was struck by how unchristlike the majority of those people were. This post from Waiterant really kind of helps explain how ugly the conservative movement can be - how twisted their message is...

So, now, I sometimes go to hear a friend (TMS) sing at her church. And I would consider going back if I had children and found a neighborhoody place... I hear the Episcopalians have a pub in their basement, which sounds like my sort of church.