<%@LANGUAGE="JAVASCRIPT" CODEPAGE="1252"%> Whisky Pants
     
     
     

Look, I'm not doing this for you, but for my own dark and twisted reasons. Oh, and because everyone else is doing it.

 
 

August 30, 2005

condolences

A close friend has just lost her grandmother. I've been wracking my head and bookshelf for some comforting phrase. I don't know why, but Elizabeth Barrett Brownings Insufficiency seems to work...

I.
There is no one beside thee, and no one above thee;
Thou standst alone, as the nightingale sings!
Yet my words that would praise thee are impotent things,
For none can express thee though all should approve thee!
I love thee so, Dear, that I can only love thee.
II.
Say, what can I do for thee?. . . weary thee . . . grieve thee?
Lean on my shoulder . . . new burdens to add?
Weep my tears over thee . . . making thee sad?
Oh, hold me not -- love me not? let me retrieve thee!
I love thee so, Dear, that I only can leave thee.

I'm so sorry, A. You are in my thoughts and prayers.