<%@LANGUAGE="JAVASCRIPT" CODEPAGE="1252"%> Whisky Pants
     
     
     

Look, I'm not doing this for you, but for my own dark and twisted reasons. Oh, and because everyone else is doing it.

 
 

September 01, 2005

bending the rules

One of my blogging rules is that I don't blog about my job. You see, I generally really enjoy my job and I'd like to keep it. But sometimes I need to flesh things out in writing.

I'm a civil servant. I made a decision after 9/11 to return to civil service and have never looked back. I can't imagine working for a for-profit at this point. In particular, I'm working for an agency that is involved with the Hurricane Katrina relief efforts.

On behalf of my colleagues, I'd like to tell you how hard we're working to respond to the hurricane. There are people working round the clock to help the people down there and who are profoundly frustrated that they haven't been able to get to the people marooned in New Orleans. We are sickened and broken-hearted. We don't understand why so many people stayed behind, or why they didn't have the opportunity to evacuate.

I kept my composure till I got home. Then I had a pint of ice cream and a good cry. Tomorrow, I'll go back to work and keep on fighting.