<%@LANGUAGE="JAVASCRIPT" CODEPAGE="1252"%> Whisky Pants
     
     
     

Look, I'm not doing this for you, but for my own dark and twisted reasons. Oh, and because everyone else is doing it.

 
 

April 06, 2006

if ya gotta go...

... then go like Art Buchwald. He's not dead, yet. (Click on the "He is not dead yet" song.)

I read an article about how busy he's been since he entered hospice a week or so ago in the NY Times (sadly, already archived and demanding $3.95 to retrieve it), and the Washington Post has an article today.

Mr. Buchwald decided to forego dialysis and entered a hospice expecting to live about 2-3 weeks. It has been 9. He's been the country's most popular dying person. While I can imagine his family's hurt, I envy his humor and pluck at this time.

Q. Do you have plans yet for your memorial service?
A. Yes, I've chosen my speakers. I showed the list to a lady friend, and she said, "You have no women speaking for you." I told her all my girlfriends are going to be pallbearers. When I mentioned it to one lady friend, she became excited and asked, "What should I wear?"


"So for just choosing a way to say goodbye, I now have a chance to relive every walk of my life and all the memories.

I don't want you to think I'm recommending a hospice -- unless you can be assured you're going to be on television and in the New York Times. You don't want to leave this world without anybody knowing you've been here."